Although most of us are still waiting for Summer to arrive this year, it is time to start thinking about Autumn. September is likely to bring around many changes in your garden, so we have compiled some choice hints and tips to help you make the most out of this month.
- You can now start to mow your lawn less frequently, it might also be worth raising the cutting height of your lawn mower so you leave a little more length on the grass. Applying an Autumn feed in September/October will also give your lawn strong roots for the winter.
- September is a superb time to repair areas of lawn, or lay a whole new one with fresh turf. Don`t forget to saturate your lawn frequently for at least 2 weeks after laying. Relying on a few showers of rain will not suffice!
- Keep an eye on the weather if you would prefer, but its a very good idea to now bring any houseplants that have been residing on your patio inside.
- If you have a garden pond, keep it in top condition by covering it with pond netting. This will stop any dead leaves getting in before they start falling from the trees.
- September is a good time to give your garden and greenhouse a good clear up. It is far better to put the hours in now whilst it is still pleasant, rather than toil away in the cold and wet in the months to come.
- Don`t forget the birds! Keep birdbaths clean and topped up with water, and birdfeeders full of fresh seed.