November’s plants of the month are trees, in all their bewildering variety. There’s one to suit every gardener among the enormous range at our garden centre here at Smiths Nurseries – so to help you choose, here’s a small selection from our comprehensive stock, suitable for every situation, from containers to rolling acres.
- Olive (Olea europaea) for gnarled shapes or slender standards to elegant twisted spiral stems all with elegant grey-green leaves
- Japanese maples like ‘Dissectum Atropurpureum’ for graceful shapes and colourful foliage
- Bay trees (Laurus Noblus) are perfect Terrace, Patio Balcony or Entrance Hall plant
- Betula utilis var jacquemontii for multiple stems of gleaming white bark and delicate foliage, or Summer Cascade, Pendulla Dalecarlica
- Magnolia stellata with a compact shape and huge, spidery white spring flowers
- Malus (Royal Beauty) is a superb weeping Crab Apple with rich colour and blossom in the spring
- Sambucus nigra (black elder) has purple foliage and clear pink flower sprays in June
- Crataegus laevigata Crimson Cloud is a Midland Hawthorn with dark foliage, red flowers with a pronounced white eye and small red berries in the autumn
- Arbutus unedo is aptly named the strawberry tree for its bright red fruits in late autumn
- Pyrus calleryana ‘Chanticleer’ is an ornamental pear with a neat shape and white spring blossom
- Liquidambar styraciflua ‘Worplesdon’ has handsome foliage and spectacular autumn colour
- Eucalyptus gunnii Azura has attractive evergreen foliage
- Prunus Fragrant Cloud is a splendid Ornamental Cherry with a mass of Springtime blossom
- Quercus rubra has huge architectural leaves flushed brilliant scarlet in autumn
And don’t forget, you can call us or ask our Trees expert in store for help!